Our history dates back to 1879 when Philip MacLean opened the Wellsville Chapel of the Martin MacLean Altmeyer Funeral Home. First operating as a Livery Service on Broadway Ave, Philip’s brother Daniel joined the business and the brothers conducted the first funeral service in 1881.
When the MacLean brothers purchased the home of Civil War General James Reilly in 1936, the MacLean Funeral Home moved from its original location on Main Street.
In 1886, the East Liverpool Chapel began under the name J.D. West and was located on 6th Street. C.N. Miller purchased the chapel in 1901. When he died in 1925, his former assistant Edward Martin purchased the funeral home with the financial partnership of Albion Fisher and Ross Tisher. The business was relocated to 5th Street and renamed Martin Funeral Home in 1936.
The sons of Edward Martin, Harry and Dick started working at the funeral home as young children. As young men both followed in their father’s footsteps, becoming licensed funeral directors, Harry in 1948 and Dick in 1951. They assumed ownership of the Martin Funeral in 1955.
In 1986, Martin Funeral Home purchased MacLean Funeral Home in Wellsville, Ohio and the names were combined to form Martin MacLean Funeral Home. In 1990 The funeral home was passed onto Harry’s Son Tim Martin. A year later, Tim passed away and Martin MacLean was purchased by the Altmeyer Family of Wheeling, WV
In 2000 the Calcutta Chapel was opened and remains the only funeral home in the area built with that specific purpose in mind. All one level for handicap accessibility, Calcutta has an open floor plan, a large formal chapel and traditional church pews.
Since our inception over a century ago, Martin MacLean Altmeyer Funeral Home has constantly improved to offer families of Columbiana, Jefferson and Mahoning, Ohio and the surrounding areas premium services as affordable prices.